Thursday, March 26, 2009
AFA - Things YOU can do in your area on April 3
Audism Free America
Ella shares ideas of what you can do in your area if you can't attend AFA's April 3rd rally.
April 3, 2009 11:00 am to 9 pm Demonstration and Vigil at AG Bell Headquarters
Volta Bureau, 1537 35th St., NW, Washington, DC (near Georgetown University)
If you regretfully can not join us on April 3, you can do something locally in your area on the same day.
Here are some suggestions:
1) wear a blue ribbon all day. See an example on the Audism Free America logo on our website. This is related to the beautiful and moving Blue Ribbon Ceremony found in Dr. Paddy Ladd’s book “Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood.” As we all know, Dr. Ladd will be honored with an award on April 4th during Gallaudet University’s Charter Day.
2) host a rally at a site that needs to promote better equality and respect for all Deaf people. In short, a site that’s well-known for being quite audist such as:
• an oral / aural ONLY program in your area
• a medical facility that doesn’t provide full access and/or acknowledge Deaf culture and ASL
• A program or service center that has not adequately responded to ASL Deaf people’s rights
• employer or company that has a history of discriminating against Deaf people
3) distribute AFA’s informational materials to people around you . You can download and print from the AFA website.
4) host a screening of the DVD “Audism Unveiled” at your home or work place and lead a discussion group. The DVD can be obtained through Dawn Sign Press (www.dawnsign.com).
5) post a video about audism (your thoughts and/or experiences under audism and any victories also) on your v/blogsite if you have one or use DeafVideo.TV, YouTube, GoogleVideo, etc.
6) make a short public service announcement (PSA) video educating the broader community about audism.
Do you have other ideas? The Deaf community is a champ – creative, resourceful, and enduring community – we know u can come up with great ideas and events.
If u do decide to host something – let AFA know so they can put your town/city on the map in fighting audism. Write to us at email@example.com.
Thank you!! and let freedom roll!!!
Audism Free America